Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Um, No

I like to read the "New DVDs" feature in the New York Times, but how to get past this opening line...

It has been only three years since Universal's last "collector's edition" of the enduring chestnut "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962), but here it is again in a lavish double-disc set

I stopped buying reissued CDs because there's something about buying the same thing more than once that irks me, and DVDs are quickly falling into the same category. At least with CDs, it's slightly (though not really) justified because when CDs first came out, the sound reproduction on many old albums was really awful. But with DVD movies now it seems like they're just piling on new extras--most of which are pretty useless anyway.

So I refuse to buy any "re-released" version of a DVD (for a movie I probably had already bought on VHS!) until the manufacturers start offering upgrade pricing like software. If I want to see the extras I'll go rent the damn thing; how many times can watch a "Making of..." documentary or listen to a commentary track anyway? Though I will say this: many DVD commentary tracks are great for curing insomnia.

No comments: