Monday, September 26, 2005

Uh, No

"Best of' lists are always trouble, and it's hard to really take them seriously. Still...Boston magazine does their "Top 50 Science-Fiction Shows of All Time." Some of these are a reach. " While I like The Wild, Wild West a lot, I'm not sure I would classify it as "science fiction." (Same with Man From U.N.C.L.E.) But if that's the case, why not The Prisoner? And why no Farscape, which is decidedly science-fiction--and one of the best sci-fi series of the past 20 years? And I'm sorry, but I dispute the placing of Third Rock From the Sun on any list of the greatest anything of all time--and if sitcoms are allowed, why not Mork and Mindy, for crying out loud? And Xena: Warrior Princess is higher than The Outer Limits? Oh, come now. I have no disputes with the top 5, although I have not seen the new Battlestar Galactica (but I've heard good things about it). Some obscure things made the list--but then why not Quark, the short-lived Richard Benjamin sitcom (I think Buck Henry wrote it) about a space garbageman. It ran briefly in 1977, but was very funny, from what I recall.

No comments: