Thursday, September 22, 2005

Technotrash

If you're like me, and I know I am, you have accumulated tons of magnetic media--audio cassettes, VHS tapes, floppy disks (even 5.25-inch!) and so forth. In this age of CDs, DVDs, iPods, and MP3s, who needs all this stuff anymore? Do we want to have to move it from new home to new home (speaking for myself: no). And should we just chuck it all in the trash?

I found a company called GreenDisk which will collect and recycle all your so-called "technotrash"--including old computer parts and accessories. Check 'em out here. I just sent out two boxes of old audio cassettes (recorded eons ago from my CD and LP collection to play in the car--which doesn't have a CD player, and for which I now use my iPod) and VHS tapes of movies and TV shows I taped a long time ago and now have on DVD. Ordering is easy and the pricing is pretty reasonable. They also respond to customer service inquiries very rapidly, too.

Now, what to do with my old Star Trek VHS collection...

No comments: