Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Customer Support

On the subjects of cable and television companies, I do want to say a few things about customer service (no, this won't be a gripe session). For Internet access and very basic cable, I subscribe to Time-Warner Cable and every time I have had a problem, their phones were answered promptly and if someone needed to come out, they were sent out the next day (someone even came on a Sunday) and were prompt and efficient. Some folks know I used to have very bitter fights with Time-Warner back in the day, but these days (at least in Saratoga Springs) they are a pleasure to deal with, both in person and on the phone. (As an added bonus, their technicians don't shriek in horror when they encounter a Macintosh.) I make fun of Roadrunner and the tendency for the coyote to win, but I've had Roadrunner for about five years now and I'm very happy with the service and with Time-Warner in general. If only there were better programming, I would subscribe to more channels!

Verizon itself is a mixed bag. My initial contact with them was five years ago, when I had a landline installed when I moved here from Calfornia. They kept pushing DSL at the time, but their sales calls were after 5:00 on a Friday and I swear they always sounded like they were made in the midst of a wild office party--lots of background noise, and a sales guy who kept giggling like he was drunk off his butt. It never filled me with confidence, so I never had much interest in Verizon DSL. Several years later, after I had cancelled my landline in favor of just cell service, I got a weird sales call from Verizon long distance, who were apparenrly unaware that I didn't actually have a landline anymore (this was about a year after I cancelled it). So they never much seemed on the ball over there to me.

My cell service is through Verizon Wireless and their service is no worse than any other cell provider I've ever used. Yes, their Web site is admittedly like the Winchester Mystery House--lots of random links that go nowhere--but I had to call them today about something else I will probably end up complaining about, but their phone was answered promptly and the person on the other end was very pleasant and even helpful. (It didn't solve my problem, but I don't think it's Verizon's fault...) She identified the phone I had, knew when I had got it, and told me that for improved service I should update my roaming something-or-other. It may turn out to be complete BS, but at least for now it strikes me as a high point in customer relations with a large company.

It's too easy to use this venue to whine about things. Once in a while, I'd like to say something nice...

No comments: