Monday, April 24, 2006

Gas Pains

Looking for cheap gas? Via The Big Picture blog, the site Gas Buddy a map of average gas prices around the country. (Green is cheapest, red is the most expensive--click either link for a bigger/more readable map.) Hey, I can save about 70 cents a gallon if I drive to Montana to get gas.
Let's remember, though: we're not really near historic highs. After adjusting for inflation, gas would have to hit $5.80 a gallon in order for it to reach the level it was during the oil embargo of the 1970s. As I think I pointed out last year when gas prices were rising, that's a very picayune point that doesn't really mean much if you--like me--were not driving a car in the 1970s. It's also not a very big help to those who have to commute to work now--I guess just be lucky you probably won't pass through any time portals back to the 1970s when your gas gauge gets low.

Interestingly, in New Jersey, thanks to an agreement between the turnpike authorities and gasoline suppliers, stations on the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway can only change gas prices once a week (on Friday--see here). I was told the other day that a similar rule applies to travel plazas on the New York State Thruway, but I have been unable to confirm it.

No comments: