Wednesday, January 11, 2006

One More Red[mond] Nightmare

21st Century Schizoid Man:
King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp visited Microsoft Corp.'s campus recently to record sounds that could be used in the forthcoming version of the company's flagship Windows operating system.

A Microsoft Web site posting shows a dark, 25-minute video clip of Fripp recording ethereal sounds that, the posting says, could be used for the audio cues found in Windows.
As much as I like King Crimson (in all--or most--of its incarnations) and the music of Robert Fripp, I doubt it's a compelling reason to buy a Microsoft project. Confusion will be my epitaph indeed. maybe Fripp will consider it Easy Money.

I was curious: I could have sworn the Macintosh startup noise was created by someone famous. And it sort of was: the short-lived PowerMac startup noise from the early 1990s was played by jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan, although that wasn't the original startup noise (which is the one they still use today). The full story on the origin of all the Mac noises can be found here.

1 comment:

David Amulet said...

Great link -- I always suspected there were stories behind the little enoises, but now I know!

-- david