Thursday, January 12, 2006

Games People Play

I've never made any bones about how much I hate cellphones (despite the fact that I have one in lieu of a landline) but I do try to have my fun with it. For example, I am now so thoroughly addicted to its Caller ID that I categorically refuse to answer any call that flashes "Unknown." (I will answer unfamiliar numbers, so I'm not completely antisocial.) The reason is twfold. First, every single time I have ever made the mistake of answering an "Unknown" call, it has been a telemarketer or someone similar. Every time. And since these nuisance calls come out of my Verizon Wireless minutes, I'm essentially paying to be annoyed. (Heck, I already have cable TV for that.)

In the past week, though, some Unknown caller (or their autodialer) has been more doggedly persistent than these people tend to be--three, four times a day, even on Sunday, for the past week. I thought ever-so-briefly about picking it up (I've been deeply immersed in a project this week and really don't want to be bugged by salespeople) but now it's become a kind of game: I'm curious to see how long they will keep this up. I mean, god forbid anyone should actually leave a voicemail message.

Also, in other personal wireless telephone news, since switching to VoIP for most of my business and personal calling, I've managed to save an average of $124 a month on my wireless bill.

No comments: