Thursday, August 11, 2005

Um, No

CNet, for some reason, has decided to list the top 10 technologies its editors miss most. OK, one or two perhaps (manned space exploration is sorely missed), but the Apple Newton? Wires? (No, I do not say "bring back wires." I wish even power cabling could be replaced by some kind of wireless technology.) The GM EV1? Granted, the idea of an electric car is a nice one, but I always had reservations about a car that looked like it was wearing a skirt. As for LPs--well, I still have 'em, so I can't say they've gone away. (Interestingly, now that sampling has become prevalent, it's not uncommon to put on a Beck or eels CD and be greeted by the telltale pops and scratches of the vinyl record.) The Concorde? Since I'm not Phil Collins, I can't say that I ever traveled on it (and $10,000 seemed rather a lot to pay for an airline ticket--no Priceline for the Concorde).

A related CNet article waxes nostalgic about dead dot-coms. Um--why the frell are we getting nostalgic about the late 90s already?

No comments: