Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Big Man(uscript) on Campus

The latest attempt to bring e-books...well, someplace where they'll sell.

I've had mixed feelings about about e-books; they're certainly not going to replace printed books (I think we're more likely to see the decline of reading book-length materials in general than any replacement of the physical medium). I've always been curious as to what role electronic media will play in academia--especially since reading a story a few months ago about the Stanford University freshman who had never read a printed book in his life--sorry, I can't find the link). More and more texts will be electronic in some form or other, but a format that prevents printing or one that expires will only ever be useful for transient textbooks, or books for classes you don't really care about. I still use some of my textbooks to this day (16 years after college) and especially people in science and engineering fields need to refer to their old texts on occasion. Could textbooks be the "killer app" for e-paper?

No comments: