Wednesday, January 02, 2008

More Medea

Happy New Year, Blogito Ergo Sum-o-philes!

First up as the new year opens: the second part of the Mass Medea screenplay, so get out your turkey basters! Part one is here.

"Mass Media"
An Original Screenplay--Part 2

EXT. LOU’S PLACE - NIGHT
ESTABLISHING SHOT

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. LOU’S PLACE - NIGHT

Lou’s Place is the neighborhood pub where the Cool Gadgets staff gathers after hours. It is almost midnight. Brian and Jean are sitting at a table, drinking. George and Janice are sitting at an adjacent table. George has some sheets of paper (the New York Times Crossword Puzzles for the past week) in front of him and is filling them in sporadically. Janice sits close to him, shoulder to shoulder, ostensibly helping him. George does not mind in the slightest. Neal enters and sits down at Brian’s table.
NEAL
Well, Helen’s on her way to the service bureau with the last of the page files.
(to Jean)
Despite your best efforts to impede our progress, we got the issue out anyway.
Jean sticks her tongue out at him.
NEAL
Put that thing away unless you plan to use it.

BRIAN
(raises a bottle of beer)
To another issue in the can.
They all join him.
BRIAN
Carl left?

NEAL
He slunk off into the night to live his sordid and mysterious secret life.

BRIAN
It’s not that mysterious.

NEAL
Sordid?

BRIAN
Damn right.
Neal looks over at GEORGE and JANICE.
NEAL
What are they doing?

JEAN
(smiling knowingly)
They apparently found a common interest.

GEORGE
(reading a crossword clue)
Fifty-six across—“some staff openings...”

JANICE
“Some staff openings...” Hmm...

GEORGE
“Bass clefs.”

JANICE
“Bass clefs”?

GEORGE
Yeah. See? Because then fifty-seven down is “Fog.”
He writes it in the grid.
JANICE
Ah, I see. And that means that sixty-one across, “Comic Phillips,” is “Emo.”

GEORGE
Ah, yes, Emo Phillips. The world’s most famous comedian, according to the editor of the New York Times Crossword Puzzle.
Brian, Neal, and Jean are watching them amusedly.
NEAL
Could you ever get that excited over a crossword puzzle?

BRIAN
With the right company, you bet.

NEAL
Since the issue’s gone, would you mind if I knocked off at noon tomorrow?

BRIAN
No, that’d be fine.

NEAL
This weekend is my punishment for working 18 hours a day all week. We’re taking the kids up to Muir Woods. I’ll probably need to work another 18 hours a day next week just to recover.

JEAN
Oh, that should be fun. The weather’s supposed to be great.

JANICE
Sixteen down: “Build....”

NEAL
Other people have fun in Muir Woods. I just get eaten by bugs.

JANICE
(loudly)
“Erect”!
Neal, Jean, and Brian both snap their heads to look at her.
BRIAN
Excuse me?

GEORGE
A puzzle answer.

BRIAN
Thank God for that. You know, guys, it’s before midnight. This is the earliest we’ve finished an issue in a long time. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why?

JANICE
Because you had me helping out?

BRIAN
Good answer, but no.

GEORGE
Because we’re getting so damn efficient?

NEAL
(in jest...sort of)
Fuck no.

BRIAN
It’s because I gave Neal the ability to sign off on most of the pages without my needing to approve them.

NEAL
Or make your weedy last-minute changes.

JEAN
Hey, I always thought there was nothing like having two micromanagers in charge of the same project to kill any notion of productivity.

NEAL
I am not a micromanager!

BRIAN
(good-naturedly)
Neal, I admit that I’m a micromanager, but, let’s face it, you manage at the molecular level.

NEAL
I most certainly do not.

BRIAN
Let’s see: I still have vivid memories of the one-hour hyphen argument. Oh, and let’s not forget the infamous “state abbreviation” fight.

NEAL
That’s not micromanagement. All the issues I bring up are the normal stylistic issues that any copy editor would flag. Careful copy editing is not micromanagement.

BRIAN
There’s a difference between copy editing and “comma-chasing,” especially when we’re in a rush to get to the printer.

NEAL
“Comma-chasing”?

BRIAN
It’s a term I invented, yes. To refer to your micromanagement!

NEAL
Unlike some of the things you’ve brought up.

BRIAN
Such as?

NEAL
Three words: Claude Jackson’s tie.
Brian bursts into hysterical laughter, as does Neal.
GEORGE
Claude Jackson’s tie?
Brian and Neal are now both in hysterics.
NEAL
This was before your time, George, but we ran a big news story on Claude Jackson, who was the CEO of WirePro at the time. He had just won some techie award, and we ran a fairly large photo of him. Except...

BRIAN
I don’t know who let him out of the house dressed like that.

NEAL
He was wearing this little stub of a tie. He looked ridiculous.

BRIAN
He looked like Fred Flintstone.

NEAL
So Brian decided to open the picture in Photoshop and edit the image to make his tie longer.

BRIAN
Look, the guy’s an old friend, the award was a big deal, and I didn’t want him to look silly.

GEORGE
Because everyone else in the computer industry is known for their impeccable fashion sense.

NEAL
It was after midnight and you spent an hour fighting with that damn tie!

BRIAN
It had a weird pattern that was hard to clone.

NEAL
Helen was so pissed.

BRIAN
The irony is that Claude got pissed at me when he saw it. Apparently his seven-year-old daughter gave him that tie.

NEAL
There’s a lesson to be learned: don’t micromanage the wardrobe of people in the pictures we run!

BRIAN
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Brian checks his watch and stands up.
BRIAN
Hey, guys, I’m gonna take off. George, Janice, if you want to come in late tomorrow, you’re welcome to do so. Or, if you want to come in at the usual time and leave early, you’re welcome to do that, too. Either way is fine with me.

NEAL
Yeah, same here. I think I’m going to take off now, too.
Neal stands up.
NEAL
Thanks, everyone, great job. I think the issue looks really good. Good work. Especially you, Janice, considering this was literally your first day on the job. Nothing like trial by fire! Good night.

BRIAN
Good night.

GEORGE & JANICE
(in unison)
Good night.
Neal and Brian exit.
JEAN
I’m off, too. Goodnight, guys.

GEORGE & JANICE
(in unison)
Good night, Jean.
Jean exits. George and Janice look at each other awkwardly for a moment.
GEORGE
Well, we’ve got a week’s worth of crossword puzzles.

JANICE
I barely had any lunch. Does this place have food?

GEORGE
Actually, I’m starving, too. I know a great cheap Italian place on Columbus.

JANICE
Is it open this late?

GEORGE
“Is it open this late,” she asks. This is San Francisco, the city that never sleeps.

JANICE
Actually, New York is the city that never sleeps.

GEORGE
Well, then we got a raw deal in the nickname department, because New York could only dream about getting as little sleep as this city.

JANICE
But since they never sleep they could never actually dream about it.

GEORGE
Good point. Actually, just between you and me, once in a while I do wish it would take a little nap.
They exit.
DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. MODERN ELECTRONICS’ OFFICE BUILDING - DAY
ESTABLISHING SHOT

Modern Electronics magazine is located in an office building in Midtown Manhattan.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. FLO’S OFFICE - DAY

FLO ESTRINE, 40, is sitting at her desk typing on the computer. IVAN VERDESCHI, 36, enters, holding a copy of Cool Gadgets. Ivan’s name is pronounced “EE-van.”
IVAN
Flo, have you seen this?
Flo looks up.
FLO
I don’t know. What is it?

IVAN
The latest issue of Cool Gadgets.

FLO
Do I want to?

IVAN
They got an interview with Camilla Dane.
Flo frustratedly whips off her reading glasses and tosses them across her desk. They slide across the surface and fly off the edge. Ivan darts over and catches them before they hit the floor.
FLO
Camilla Dane?

IVAN
Yeah.

FLO
We’ve been trying to score an interview with her for months. She won’t even return Anita’s calls. All we can get is Webcorp’s PR flak. Damn!

IVAN
That’s not all. Look at the ad they got for Cover 3.
He holds open the inside back cover and hands Flo her reading glasses. She puts them on, looks at the ad, and whips her glasses off again, tossing them to the desk. She glares up at Ivan.
FLO
I’m gonna get shit for this.

IVAN
No, I’m gonna get shit for this. I’m your boss—and you know I’m not going to give you shit. I’m the one who has to answer to Rick.

FLO
I’m sure I’ll get a nasty call all my own.

IVAN
You know, I’ve heard through the grapevine that Morse and his reps are notorious for ignoring the rate card.

FLO
Oh, come on, Ivan, who isn’t?

IVAN
I wouldn’t be surprised if they just ran it without an insertion order.

FLO
No, I believe they got it. It’s a good magazine. They’re beating us fair and square. What bugs the crap out of me is that they came out of nowhere! Modern Electronics has been the number one consumer electronics publication for 8 years. Cool Gadgets was seemingly torn from the thigh of Zeus less than three years ago and immediately shoots right past us.

IVAN
“Torn from the thigh of Zeus”?

FLO
Sorry. I had a meeting with Olympus this morning. I’ve been using Greek myth analogies all day.
Ivan saunters back around the desk and puts his arms around her.
IVAN
(suggestively)
Is that why you called me Hercules this morning?

FLO
“Heracles.” “Hercules” was the Roman name.

IVAN
Heracles. Sorry.

FLO
And all I meant was that watching you try to eat breakfast with my dogs around reminded me of Heracles battling the Hydra.

IVAN
The Harpies would have been a better comparison.

FLO
I know. I’m completely off my game today. Ivan, what am I doing here? I should have stayed a college professor.

IVAN
Didn’t you say you hated the politics of academia?

FLO
I did, didn’t I? So of course I came to Juno Mass Media because large publishing companies are completely free from any internal politics.

IVAN
It’s not politics, it’s just that if you don’t look out for your own interests you’re gonna get screwed. You didn’t keep Modern Electronics on top for all those years because you let Clive dick you around. And you can bet that if you sat by and let Clive always get his way he’d be publisher now.

FLO
Whatever. Anyway, when does Rick get back from Tokyo?

IVAN
Next Wednesday.

FLO
Here’s what I want. I’m going to set up a teleconference with all the sales reps this afternoon and I am going to impress upon them that before Wednesday, each rep will need to have at least two new high-profile accounts--12-month contracts or better—-or they’ll be fired, and out of a cannon, if necessary.

IVAN
(his passions becoming inflamed)
God, Flo, I love it when you start getting strict.
They fall back onto her desk.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. COOL GADGETS OFFICE BUILDING - DAY
ESTABLISHING SHOT

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. NEWSROOM - DAY

The Cool Gadgets main editorial and production room, about 9:30. It is several weeks after the previous scene. Janice is sitting at her table, which now has a computer atop it; Neal, George, Helen, and Brian are in their respective offices. George is typing diligently on his computer, Helen is using a desktop scanner to scan a stack of photographs, and both Brian and Neal are on the phone. Janice is looking through a Post Office mail bin filled with press releases.

Carl enters.
CARL
Batten down the hatches. They just called from the car. They’re on 101 and just passed the airport. They’ll be here in about 15 minutes.

JANICE
Who?

CARL
Who? Neal didn’t tell you?

JANICE
Tell me what?

CARL
Vendor meeting.

JANICE
I don’t know what that means.

CARL
Vendor meeting. A meeting with a vendor.

JANICE
I figured as much. I still don’t know what it means.

CARL
All the companies that develop products send out teams of marketing lackeys, clueless PR flaks, and socially and hygienically inept technogeeks to try to convince unsuspecting magazine editors that they have developed the greatest thing since sliced bread.

JANICE
I take it they haven’t?

CARL
As overrated as sliced bread may be, the answer is: usually, no.
Janice takes a piece of paper out of the postal bin.
JANICE
Carl? I’m hunting for good new products for the New Products department. Is this anything?
She hands the paper to him. He reads it, then smiles.
CARL
I have no idea. What the hell is it? It says it’s a “system” of some kind, but I’m not entirely certain what it does.

JANICE
So I take it it’s not anything?

CARL
It’s a ploy to get their stock price up by announcing vaporware that does jack shit.

JANICE
Could you be more cynical?

CARL
You forget that I’ve been doing this a few years.

JANICE
(hands him another piece of paper)
What about this?
Carl takes it and reads it.
CARL
Ah, see, now this is useful. I could see why someone would want this. It’s a useful and practical way to transfer data from the removable media used by digital camera to a PC. In your search for newsworthy products, let “useful” and “practical” be words to guide you.

JANICE
Ah.

CARL
And anything that has a dot-com in its name should be ignored outright. Just what the world needs: another fucking IPO from a dot-com company to help hasten the next great economic collapse.

JANICE
I don’t think that will happen.

CARL
I’ll bet you a year’s severance pay.
Neal hangs up his phone and wanders out.
NEAL
Is NetSpider on their way?

CARL
Fifteen minutes.

NEAL
Cool.

CARL
You say that now.

JANICE
Carl doesn’t hold out a lot of hope that their product will be of any interest.

NEAL
I don’t even know what it is. They made me sign a non-disclosure agreement and wouldn’t tell me what I was agreeing to not disclose.

CARL
That’s always a sure sign that it’s going to suck. The other is if they have some useless, gimmicky toy that they give out right at the beginning of the meeting. There is a direct mathematical relationship between the speed at which they hand out cutesy promotional crapola and the utter uselessness of the product they’re promoting.

NEAL
Carl, have you ever heard of Herbert Spencer’s phrase “contempt prior to investigation”?

CARL
Of course. It’s my personal motto.

NEAL
Such negativity. Is the conference room set up?

CARL
Yes, I had Terri do it this morning.
Neal’s phone rings, and he walks into his office to answer it.
NEAL
(on phone)
Neal Mosley....Yes, great, send them up, thanks.
He hangs up and walks out of his office.
NEAL
(imitating girl from Poltergeist)
They’re he-e-e-re.

CARL
Let the carnage begin.

NEAL
Oh, Janice, could you do me a big favor? I hate to ask this of editorial staff, but could you bring a few cups of coffee to the conference room? I’d ask Terri but I’d like to have the option of fathering children again someday.

JANICE
Sure.

NEAL
Thanks. To the conference room.

CARL
If we’re not back in three days, send in the National Guard.
They all exit.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY
The Cool Gadgets conference room contains a large table surrounded by about a half dozen chairs. Several copies of the magazine are fanned out on the table. On one wall is a large poster of a Cool Gadgets magazine cover. There is a white dry erase board on the far wall that has “Dot-Coms Suck” in large red letters. As Neal and Carl enter, Neal sees the lettering and rushes to erase it.
NEAL
Your doing, no doubt.

CARL
I’d prefer you leave it up there. Maybe it’ll ward them off like a talisman.
The NetSpider team enters: BOB, JENNY, and KEN.
NEAL
Welcome to Cool Gadgets. I’m the editor-in-chief Neal Mosley, and this is Carl Hogarth, our product guy.
They all begin shaking hands.
CARL
Hi, there.

JENNY
Mr. Mosley, I’m Jenny Kelly, director of publicity for NetSpider. This is Bob Bunnell, director of marketing for NetSpider, and this is Ken Kim, who is one of our product developers, and can help answer any technical questions you may have.

NEAL
Nice to meet you.
There is a mass exchange of business cards amongst all five people. Neal takes out a PalmPilot. The visitors follow suit, and there is a mass beaming of info back and forth. Carl looks on amusedly.
BOB
Do you have a PalmPilot? I can beam you my contact info.

CARL
I have five of them. But, no, thanks. I prefer printed business cards.

NEAL
Please, have a seat.
They all sit around the table, Neal and Carl on one side, Bob, Jenny, and Ken on the other. Ken removes a laptop computer from a satchel, places it on the table, and starts it up.
KEN
This’ll just take like a minute to boot up.

CARL
(looking at business card)
So you guys are based in L.A.

BOB
Right, in Torrance.

NEAL
I don’t know that I’ve ever been to Torrance.

JENNY
You’re not missing much.
(takes out a tote bag)
While Ken is starting up, let me hand out some press kits that will provide some details about what we’re going to show you today.
(takes out a stack of folders and hands one to CARL and one to NEAL)
And I do have to remind you that the embargo date is August third, so we do ask that you hold any editorial coverage until that date.

NEAL
That’s not a problem.

CARL
What with that being next week.
Bob takes out a bag and removes some T-shirts. He hands one to Neal and one to Carl.
BOB
And these are some promotional T-shirts we thought you’d enjoy.
Carl holds it up.
CARL
Am I allowed to wear it before August third?

BOB
(laughs)
Yes, I think so.
Bob also removes several large plastic spiders from his bag.
BOB
And these are our unofficial mascots, the “NetSpider” itself.

JENNY
Our logo and Web address are printed on its underside.
Carl picks one up and turns it over.
CARL
So they are. Look, Neal, giant toy spiders. Very interesting...
Neal shoots him a glare that implies “behave.” He places the spider on the edge of the table near the door.
JENNY
Now, our debut product, which we’re announcing on August third, is called StickyWeb, and is designed to empower the Internet-capable computer.

CARL
I see. And what specifically does that mean? In English.
At that point, Janice enters carrying several cups of coffee. She sees the spiders on the table and SCREAMS, losing control of the coffee cups, and they fall to floor, with a SPLASH. She stares at the carnage.
JANICE
(aghast)
I’m so sorry. Let me get some towels...
She runs from the room.

INT. NEWSROOM - CONTINUOUS

In the newsroom, Janice runs in, sits at her table, and starts to cry. George hears, and comes out of his cubicle. He puts his arm around her.
GEORGE
What happened?

JANICE
God, this is so unprofessional.

GEORGE
What happened?

JANICE
I spilled coffee all over the conference room floor. In front of guests. Important guests.

GEORGE
Important guests? Here?

JANICE
There were giant spiders on the table. I hate spiders. I’m terrified of spiders. I freaked out.

GEORGE
Why were there giant spiders on the conference room table? Oh, I get it...”NetSpider”...spiders. Jeez... Look, it’s perfectly all right. We all do embarrassing things, believe me.

JANICE
Neal is going to fire me.

GEORGE
Neal is not going to fire you.

JANICE
I embarrassed Neal. Carl. The magazine.

GEORGE
By spilling some coffee? Look, you do enough of these meetings, you’ll experience some real embarrassment! There have been meetings we’ve done in the middle of 18-hour production days and I’ve fallen asleep in the middle of them. There have been meetings during which Neal was stressed out and was cursing like a sailor the whole time. And Carl! Carl tends to be brusque even under the best of conditions. And even the people we’ve met with have had all sorts of problems. So spilling some coffee is nothing.

JANICE
Really?

GEORGE
Really. So go get some paper towels, clean up the mess, take a seat, and finish the meeting. And tonight, I’ll take you for the best sushi on the West Coast.

JANICE
The whole West Coast?

GEORGE
Ah, what the heck. The best sushi on the West or any coast.

JANICE
It’s a date.
George wipes away her residual tears, and gives her a kiss on the cheek. Janice exits. At that point Brian ambles out of his office.
BRIAN
Everything OK?

GEORGE
Everything is great.

BRIAN
I repeat the question.

GEORGE
Brian, I think I’m in love with Janice.

BRIAN
Then everything is great.

GEORGE
You’re telling me.
INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

Back in the conference room, Neal, Carl, Bob, Jenny, and Ken are sitting around the conference table.
JENNY
When you surf the Web and you want to save a particular page, what do you do?

CARL
Hit the Save command.

BOB
Right, but when you save it, you don’t know what format it’s going to be in. It could save it as text, or some other bizarre format, and very often it’ll be missing links and other elements.

JENNY
We did some user surveys and we found that average everyday computer users—

BOB
Especially inexperienced ones...

JENNY
Right, especially inexperienced computer users, really want to be able to save Web pages or even entire sites with the click of one button.

CARL
Well, they kind of can...

NEAL
(granting the premise)
True, sometimes it can be a little hit or miss...

JENNY
This is why we have developed a solution...
She reaches into her bag and takes out a black object that looks like a small disk drive with a parallel cable hanging off it.
JENNY
The NetSpider StickyWeb has two components: storage hardware which comes with the StickyWeb application preinstalled, and the application itself.

CARL
I see.
He picks it up and examines it. Janice returns with another batch of coffee.
JANICE
Sorry about the spill. I’m terrified of spiders.

CARL
I hear you.

NEAL
Thanks, Janice. Don’t worry about it.

JENNY
We were just introducing Neal and Carl to the NetSpider StickyWeb Web page saving solution.
Janice distributes the coffee to everyone in the room.
JANICE
Web page saving solution? What’s wrong with the Save command in Netscape?
Carl laughs.
BOB
Anyway, why don’t we give you a demo and show you how it works. Ken...

KEN
I got a bit of a problem here.

BOB
Oh?

KEN
I can’t get the laptop to boot. Give me a few minutes; let me try a few things.

NEAL
Do you smell smoke?
Indeed, wisps of smoke are emerging from the back of Ken’s computer. The smoke gets thicker.
CARL
Does it always do that?

KEN
I made some adjustments to the motherboard last night.

JENNY
(nervously)
Maybe you should just shut down. We don’t want to burn down the building.

CARL
You’d get some interesting coverage in our magazine.

NEAL
We’ve got a spare laptop, if you want to use that.

CARL
And it doesn’t burst into flames either.
Ken gives him a nasty glare.
BOB
Could we? That’d be a real help. We really don’t want to you miss out on this demo.

NEAL
Sure, it’s no problem. Janice, could you please run over to my office. There’s the spare laptop in a carrying case on the right side of my desk.

JANICE
Sure.
She gets up and leaves.

INT. NEWSROOM - CONTINUOUS
Janice walks briskly through the newsroom. George is in his office on the phone. Brian is standing by the server staring at it. He notices Janice.
BRIAN
How’s the meeting going?

JANICE
Their computer exploded.
Brian laughs. Janice ducks into Neal’s office, rummages around the desk, and grabs the satchel. She dashes back out. Brian returns his attention to the server. Terri enters carrying a heavy postal bin. She sets it down next to Janice’s table. Brian notices her.
BRIAN
Terri! What up?

TERRI
Man, you guys get a shitload of mail.

BRIAN
I know. But don’t worry; in a few years it’ll all be electronic.

TERRI
If I’m still delivering mail and answering phones in a few years I’m gonna jump off the Golden Gate Bridge

BRIAN
Fair point.
Terri turns to leave, then remembers something. She takes a pink phone slip from her pocket.
TERRI
Oh, while you were on the phone before you got a call from a Rick Schultz at Juno Mass Media. He said it was urgent and that you’d know what it was about.
Brian takes the slip.
BRIAN
Yeah, thanks. Hey, Terri—

TERRI
Yeah?

BRIAN
Are you happy here?

TERRI
Brian, I’m the secretary. It sucks. I’m just doing it until I finish school.

BRIAN
I know, it’s a sucky job, but I mean as far as sucky jobs go, are you happy here?

TERRI
(shrugs)
I suppose. I mean, you’re a pretty good boss and there aren’t too many assholes working here. Why—-are you firing me?

BRIAN
No, of course not. I’m just curious. That’s all. Anyway, forget I asked.

TERRI
(a tad confused)
OK.
Terri exits. Brian stares at the slip intently for a few moments.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

Neal’s laptop is in front of Bob, who is attaching the black NetSpider device to the back. Everyone watches. Ken looks on morosely.
BOB
OK, we’re ready to rock.
Neal, Carl, and Janice move to stand behind BOB.
BOB
Now, the way this works is, when the device is connected to the parallel port, it’s visible in Windows Explorer as would any external storage device. Now, you double-click to see the contents and there’s the StickyWeb application.

NEAL
OK.

BOB
Launch the application—
Everyone starts, as there is a bright flash on the screen.
JANICE
Whoa!

CARL
That’s not good.

BOB
That’s never happened before.

JENNY
What happened?

NEAL
That was the most dramatic system crash I think I’ve ever seen.

BOB
(rapidly clicking the mouse)
Yeah, we’re frozen pretty solid right now. Let me force a restart.
As the computer restarts, everyone takes five.
KEN
It’s, like, still in pre-beta, so there are still some problems.

CARL
You think?
There is an awkward moment of silence. Bob returns his attention to the computer.
BOB
OK, we’re back. Now, we’ll try this again. Open Explorer...double-click the application. Aha! So far so good. Now, to save a Web site, just enter the URL in this field here, set the number of levels—-or, in other words, how many layers of links you want to save, and then hit Save and—-yah!
There is a bright flash—-accompanied by an audible “POP”—-that reflects off Bob’s glasses. They all jump back.
NEAL
Holy shit!

JANICE
Oh, my God. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

BOB
O-o-o-o-kay-y-y-y... Um... I can’t seem to restart...

KEN
Let me have a look...
Bob slides the computer to Ken, who begins noodling with it.
CARL
I have to say, your product team has developed some novel ways of crashing a computer.

JENNY
(really irritated)
That really wasn’t our intention.

BOB
(sweating profusely)
Anyway, I think you get the idea of how our system works.

CARL
Oh, yeah.

NEAL
(to Ken)
Um, about my computer....

KEN
Yeah, look, I hate to say this but the hard drive is, like, gone.

NEAL
What do you mean “gone”?

KEN
(seems to find it funny)
It’s been totally wiped out. There’s like nothing here.

NEAL
Like what the fuck are you talking about?

KEN
It’s been erased. That’s pretty incredible.

NEAL
“Incredible”?

CARL
I’ll take care of it. I’ve got some tools that may be able to recover everything. Just leave it alone, I’ll take care of it.

BOB
I think we’ve taken up enough of your time this morning.

NEAL
(almost sincerely)
Well, thanks for coming in....
INT. NEWSROOM - DAY

A few moments later, Janice and Neal return to their respective desks/offices. Carl follows. Neal is extremely upset and punches his wall. George looks sheepishly at Neal, and approaches Janice.
GEORGE
Wow. What happened?

JANICE
Let’s just say that my spilling coffee was the highlight of the meeting.

CARL
What a terrifying thought. Just so you don’t get the wrong idea about vendor meetings, usually there’s far less physical destruction.
CUT TO:

To be continued...

No comments: