Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The End of Medea

And now, the exciting conclusion of Mass Medea. Part 1 is here. Part 2 is here. Part 3 is here. Part 4 is here.

"Mass Medea"
An Original Screenplay--Part 5

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - DAY

The Cool Gadgets conference room, immediately after the previous scene. Helen, Jean, Neal, Carl, and Janice are seated around the table. They are all quiet and subdued. Conspicuously so. George enters and sits down. Ivan and Flo follow him in.
IVAN
Thank you all for taking the time out to meet like this. Now, I know things have not been the greatest here lately, but Flo and I are here today to try to fix all that.

He pauses.
IVAN
Now, you all probably don’t know Florence Estrine, who is the publisher of Modern Technology magazine. I’ve asked her to come out today and act as interim publisher of Cool Gadgets.
That gets everyone’s attention, save George. Especially Carl, who is visibly unnerved.
CARL
Um, what exactly do we need an interim publisher for? Has there been some sort of bloodless coup we were unaware of?

IVAN
(tries to laugh it off)
No...

GEORGE
There was blood.

CARL
What?!

IVAN
It was felt in Chicago that Brian was not an effective leader, that he was brilliant at running a publication when he was the sole decision-maker, but he just wasn’t working out the way we needed him to. So I have asked him to step aside and, for the time being, Flo here will be taking over as publisher of Cool Gadgets. Now, Flo and I have drawn up a short-term plan for getting our ad pages back to where they should be. Flo?

FLO
Thanks, Ivan. Let me just begin by saying that I’ve been a fan of this publication since you guys started. I’ve tried to run Modern Technology in the image of Cool Gadgets, but you guys just had that certain je ne sais quoi. So I’m thrilled to be working with you all. I don’t want to change too many things—there’s no need to reinvent the wheel—but there are a few policies we’ve implemented at Modern Technology that I think would be worth implementing here. One of the things that both our editors and our sales force have appreciated is a greater sharing of intelligence.

CARL
(sotto voce)
Yo, quit bogarting that brain cell, dude.
George LAUGHS.
FLO
For example, our editors and writers file weekly reports to the sales department mentioning—really informally—who they met with that week, what companies they spoke with, what products they evaluated, the gist of the discussion, and so forth. This helps the sales force so that when they go into meetings with various accounts—old or new—they can speak like someone in the know. “Hey, I hear you have a new thing coming out. Tell me about it.” You get the idea. It gives our sales force a foot in the door, so to speak. And what’s good for our sales force is good for all of us.

Carl raises his hand.
IVAN
Yes, Carl, what is it?

CARL
Is it just who we meet with professionally?

FLO
I’m sorry?
CARL
These reports. Is it just people we meet with professionally, or should I include people I have sex with, as well?
George finds this hysterical.
NEAL
Carl...
Ivan stares daggers at Carl.
FLO
(ignores Carl)
The other thing I’d like to bring up at this time is that we think it would be more effective if we centralized production in Chicago. We have the resources, and it makes little sense to reduplicate a lot of the work we already do here.
That gets Helen and Jean’s attention.
HELEN
Ivan, does that mean I’m...

IVAN
Helen, Jean, we’ll discuss this later.

CARL
No, we’ll discuss this now. Does this mean that Helen and/or Jean will be laid off?

IVAN
This is not a discussion that we should be having in public. Helen, Jean, Flo, and I will discuss this later.

CARL
Because if either of them go, I go.

IVAN
Is that a promise?

CARL
Why not try me.

GEORGE
Yeah, and me, too.

NEAL
What?

HELEN
Guys, don’t be ridiculous.

GEORGE
I’m serious. If Helen or Jean goes, I go. We’re a team here. It’s bad enough you canned Brian’s ass, but this is where I draw the line.

IVAN
OK, duly noted.

JANICE
(sotto voce to George)
You’d really quit if Helen got fired?

GEORGE
In a heartbeat.

JANICE
Yeah, same here.

NEAL
Janice!

CARL
Well, Ivan, you’ve got a nice little insurrection going on. Brilliantly played.

Ivan and Flo look at each other nervously.
IVAN
Look, I appreciate the fact that you all stand up for each other. I think that’s terrific. But, you know, no one has said that Helen or Jean was being fired.
Carl LAUGHS.
FLO
Anyway, that’s all I wanted to say at this time.

IVAN
Flo and I have some sales calls to make, so we’ll adjourn this meeting for now. Thanks, guys.
Ivan and Flo hastily leave.
CARL
Ha-hah! We’ve got the bastards on the run.

NEAL
Were you guys really prepared to quit?

CARL
I sure as hell was.

NEAL
Well, that I can understand, you’re a name brand in this industry. But George? Granted, the job market is pretty good, but still... And Janice, are you guys thinking clearly?

GEORGE
I’m thinking completely clearly.

HELEN
Guys, I still say that you don’t need to quit over me.

JEAN
Yeah. That’s incredibly sweet, but it makes no sense.

GEORGE
It makes perfect sense. What is the point of all this? Is it to just roll over and take what they give you just to get a fucking paycheck? Or does there come a point where you say, “OK, this is just wrong, and I refuse to accept it”?

CARL
Any single one of us is probably expendable, but if the whole staff quit at once? That freaked them out. And that’s our strength. We have to stick together. Flo’s got the ball now, but our defensive play caught her off guard, and she’s lost a few yards.

GEORGE
It’s always supremely entertaining when you try to use sports analogies.

CARL
They work for me.

NEAL
No, they don’t.

CARL
Whatever the analogy, the point is, we’ve thrown a monkey-wrench into her plans. And if she can’t boost the sales in one or two issues, she’s screwed.

HELEN
So what do we do?

JANICE
What can we do?

GEORGE
Sabotage. Throw our wooden shoes into the machinery. Screw up the magazine-—give everything a bad review, spell everyone’s name wrong….

NEAL
Uh, guys, regardless of what’s going on here in the office, we need to be professional.

GEORGE
Yeah, you’re right.
There is a moment of silence while everything thinks.
CARL
Shit, I’m not sure there’s anything we can do.

NEAL
I think we’re just blowing things out of proportion. Let’s just stay focused on what we do and see what happens.

JANICE
I have a question.

NEAL
Shoot.

JANICE
How does all this help produce a successful magazine?

NEAL
Huh?

JANICE
I admit, this is the first job I’ve ever had in publishing and I’ve been here less than a year—but how does all this bullshit, all this political crap, end up producing a quality publication? I don’t get it.

CARL
Ah, sweet flower of innocence.

NEAL
Well, it doesn’t of course.

JANICE
It just seems to get in the way of producing a successful publication.

GEORGE
That’s because it’s not much mass media as mass Medea.

HELEN
“Mass Medea”?

GEORGE
From Greek myth. Medea was the wife of the heroic yet unfaithful Jason and, in a fit of jealousy, she killed her own children.

CARL
I thought she cooked and ate her children.

JANICE
Ewww...

GEORGE
No, that was lots of other characters from Greek mythology, but although Medea didn’t quite go that far, I like that analogy even better, because that’s pretty much like like Juno—-

NEAL
--or any other publishing company…

GEORGE
Basically, out of jealousy and ambition, they all just end up cooking and eating their own children.

CARL
Well, that doesn’t mean we have to rub ourselves with garlic and climb into the oven.
Neal rises.
NEAL
I have an interview to do. Remember, we still have a magazine to put out.

GEORGE
Plotting and scheming against our evil overlords is a lot more fun.

NEAL
Guys...

CARL
Back to the world of dreams...
Neal exits, followed by Carl and Helen. George and Janice stay behind.
GEORGE
It’s been a long month.

JANICE
I know.

GEORGE
I said some things...I really...

JANICE
So did I. George, we’ve all been a little out of it lately. I’ve missed you, and I want to get back together.

GEORGE
My feelings exactly. And, hey, I’ll try be less dominating.

JANICE
And sarcastic.

GEORGE
And sarcastic. And you need to let me know that I’m pissing you off when I’m pissing you off. Don’t bottle it all up and unleash your fury in one fell swoop long after the fact. That’s not fair. Medea.

JANICE
(laughs)
You’re right. I’m sorry.

GEORGE
Come on, let’s go put out our magazine.
DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. MODERN ELECTRONICS OFFICE BUILDING – DAY
ESTABLISHING SHOT

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. FLO’S OFFICE - DAY

Flo is sitting at her desk staring at a Word document open on her computer screen. She is talking to Ivan on a speakerphone.
IVAN
(on speakerphone)
Wow.

FLO
Wow is right.
INT. BRIAN’S OFFICE – DAY

INTERCUT PHONE CONVERSATION
IVAN
This could kill us.

FLO
What is wrong with these people? I thought they were supposed to be professionals.

IVAN
I think they’ve just been in their own world so long they disappeared up their own asses.

FLO
(gives the phone a strange look)
What?

IVAN
(smiling)
It seemed like a colorful thing to say. God, Flo, I hate it when you’re 3,000 miles away.

FLO
Until we can get everyone in the same time zone we’re going to have to split our coasts.

IVAN
You know, I’ve never had speakerphone sex.

FLO
What makes you think that situation will change in the near future? Anyway, get Neal in there.

IVAN
Ooh, a threesome…

FLO
Ivan!

IVAN
Right.
Ivan walks out and pokes his head into Neal’s office.
IVAN
Neal, could Flo and I see you a moment?

NEAL
Sure.
Neal walks into Brian’s (now Ivan’s) office.
FLO
(on speakerphone)
Please, have a seat.
Neal sits.
FLO
Neal, I’ve just read Carl’s editorial.

IVAN
The one called “Mass Inanity.”

NEAL
Right, about the dot-com explosion.

FLO
He doesn’t take a very charitable view of the whole “new economy.”

NEAL
No, he doesn’t.

FLO
In fact, the line “another ludicrous dot-com IPO will no doubt hasten the next great economic collapse.” He then goes on to insult specific Internet companies that don’t meet whatever his exacting standards seem to be.

NEAL
I wouldn’t say “insult…”.

FLO
Get Carl up there.

IVAN
Flo, I’m going to put you on hold a second. Don’t go anywhere.
Ivan presses the hold button, then dials.
CARL
(on speakerphone)
Carl Hogarth.

IVAN
Carl, please come up to my office.

CARL
(on speakerphone)
Where?

IVAN
(enunciating)
My office.

CARL
(on speakerphone)
Where’s that?

NEAL
Brian’s old office.

CARL
(on speakerphone)
I’ll be right there.
Ivan disconnects and gets Flo back.
IVAN
(shakes his head)
What an asshole.

FLO
The point, Neal, is that this editorial is really going to infuriate a lot of people we really don’t want to infuriate.
Carl enters.
CARL
You rang?

FLO
(on speakerphone)
Yeah, Carl, it’s about your dot-com editorial.

IVAN
What’s wrong with you?

CARL
I take it you had issues with it.

IVAN
You could say that.

FLO
You realize that the vast majority of the ads in the magazines in the Consumer Electronics Group are from dot-com companies.

CARL
I’m sorry to hear that.

IVAN
And what makes you say that?

CARL
Well, I admit, getting dot-com advertisers these days is like shooting fish in a barrel, but the problem with shooting fish in a barrel is that if you keep it up, at some point you’re left with just barrel. And when the dot-coms all go belly up, you’re going to be publishing pamphlets.

IVAN
And what business school did you graduate from?

CARL
Look, you don’t need to have a Harvard MBA to see that the vast majority of what’s out there in dot-com-land makes no sense from a business or a technological standpoint. Much of it defies even basic logic. This is a fucking bubble economy, and when the bubble bursts, it’s not going to be pretty.

IVAN
And the fact that economists, Wall Street analysts, everyone in the whole goddamn country seems to disagree with you doesn’t bother you at all?

CARL
Not everyone disagrees with me, but you tend not to hear them on CNBC because no one wants to hear bad news. Everyone is completely overforecasting and overinvesting, and it’s going to end badly.

IVAN
What are you, Nostradamus?

CARL
No, I’m far less vague than Nostradamus.

FLO
You see yourself as Cassandra, then.

CARL
In the sense that no one is listening to me, perhaps.

NEAL
The point is not how accurately Carl can predict the future. It’s an editorial, it expresses an opinion, and Carl’s is one that I respect, regardless of whether I happen to agree with it 100 percent.

IVAN
And my point is that it’s not good business to piss off the people that pay our bills.

CARL
That can’t be my concern.

IVAN
And why not?

CARL
Because we’re journalists. We’re supposed to be objective. If we’re suddenly censoring ourselves because of who advertises, then we may as well just give up.

IVAN
What is it with you fucking Bay Area hippies--

NEAL
All right! I’m ending this now. Here’s my compromise. We’ll run Carl’s editorial, but we’ll do it in the context of a “point-counterpoint.” I will write a rebuttal to Carl’s editorial. I think I can find enough of Carl’s opinions to disagree with.
Ivan and Flo look at their respective speakerphones thoughtfully for a moment.
FLO
That would work.

IVAN
I’m sure you’ll do a great job.
(to CARL)
Sorry, pal.

CARL
I have no objection to the idea.

IVAN
Really?

CARL
No, I think debate is good. I’ll look forward to your rebuttal, Neal. And I have to admit, Ivan, you’re the first person that’s ever called me a hippie.
Carl exits.
IVAN
That’ll be all.
Neal returns to his office. Ivan and Flo simultaneously shake their heads in disbelief.
FLO
What are we going to do?

IVAN
If every single thing we do is going to be a struggle, we have no choice in the matter. This just isn’t worth it.
DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. LOU’S PLACE – NIGHT
ESTABLISHING SHOT

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. LOU’S PLACE - NIGHT

Lou’s Place, the night after the previous scene. Brian, Neal, George, Janice, Carl, Jean, and Helen are seated around a large table. They’ve been there a while, and have had a few rounds.
BRIAN
Guys, thanks for this “last night out.” I appreciate it.

GEORGE
You’ve been so good to all of us that it’s the least we could do.

HELEN
So, Brian, what do you plan to do with your “time off”?

BRIAN
I’ve been getting involved in physics again, which I got diverted from all those years ago. I’ve thought of writing and/or publishing something more traditionally physics-related.

JEAN
(to Neal)
You’re being quiet.

NEAL
Am I required to yammer endlessly?

JEAN
No, but this is a party. You’re supposed to be having fun.
Neal slams down a martini. There are three empty martini glasses in front of him.
NEAL
I’m having a shitload of fun.

BRIAN
Let me see if I understand the dynamic here. Carl has never been in better spirits, because this whole Juno situation has given him something to rail against, so he’s been in the best mood lately that I’ve ever seen him in.

CARL
Now, wait...

BRIAN
Because let’s face it, my friend, you’re never happier than when you’re miserable.

JANICE
Wow, think about that one...

GEORGE
No.

BRIAN
And Neal is feeling like the rug was pulled out from underneath him because he was counting on this Juno situation working out—-oh, I don’t know—-to someone’s advantage.

NEAL
I wouldn’t say the rug was pulled out from underneath me.
The Waiter places another martini in front of him. He slams it.
WAITER
Another one?

NEAL
Keep ‘em coming.
The Waiter nods and exits.
NEAL
No, the rug was not pulled out from under me. I was wrapped in the rug like a giant burrito and thrown off the Bay Bridge.

BRIAN
Drinking yourself into a coma is not the answer.

GEORGE
Well, it would depend on the question.

JANICE
What would the question be?

GEORGE
“Do you want to drink yourself into a coma?”

NEAL
Cute.
The Waiter delivers another round.
BRIAN
Not to make this a maudlin event, but I just want to say at this point that I’ve really enjoyed working with all of you. To see how you’ve grown and prospered in your jobs really is amazing. George, Janice, I remember when each of you started, neither of you had the slightest idea about technology, but you learned really fast.

JANICE
Well, you thought Syracuse was the capital of New York.

BRIAN
I still maintain that there is no such place as Albany.

HELEN
Damn!

BRIAN
Yes, Helen?

HELEN
I just remembered, I don’t know how I forgot. I baked you a “going away” cake. I left it in the refrigerator at the office.

JANICE
I say let’s go get it.

GEORGE
I agree.

CARL
Let ‘em eat cake!
They all rise.
NEAL
I’ll get the check.

CARL
Can you even see it?

NEAL
Well, it’s not here yet, so, no.

CARL
You’ve run rings around me logically.

NEAL
That’s apparently my job now.

CARL
Well, you know, when you dance with the devil, you...get blisters on you feet.

NEAL
(laughs)
Is that how that goes?

CARL
I seriously doubt it.
They all exit.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. COOL GADGETS OFFCE BUILDING – NIGHT
ESTABLISHING SHOT

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. LOBBY – NIGHT

The Cool Gadgets lobby. The glass doors are closed and locked. The elevator door opens and Brian, Neal, George, Carl, Janice, Helen, and Jean get off and head to the doors. Neal takes a keyring out of his pocket and inserts a key into the lock. It doesn’t turn.
NEAL
It won’t open.

JEAN
How many martinis have you had?

NEAL
Not enough to impair my ability to insert a key in a lock.

CARL
Yep, a classic case of “whiskey key” by the looks of it.

NEAL
Can I kill him now?
Brian tries the key.
BRIAN
Neal’s right. The key won’t work.

GEORGE
We’re locked out of our own office?
Through the glass doors, they can see WILL, 21, enter the lobby, attracted by the commotion.
NEAL
Hey! Who the fuck are you and why have the locks been changed?

CARL
Let us in now!
Will unlocks the door and is pushed backward as the mob enters the lobby forcefully.
WILL
I don’t know the answer to the second question, but I’m Will Lundin. I’m from the IT department.

NEAL
What are you doing here after midnight on a Friday night?

WILL
I might ask you guys the same question.

GEORGE
We understand there is cake somewhere in this building.

WILL
Cake?
They push Will aside and head toward the newsroom. Will follows them.

INT. NEWSROOM – CONTINUOUS

They all enter the newsroom. Neal walks into his office and looks at his computer.
CARL
(to Will)
Why was the lock on the front door changed?

WILL
I don’t know. I was just ordered to come out here and back up the server. I’m just the IT guy.

NEAL
(facing his computer screen)
Guys?

GEORGE
Neal?

NEAL
Check your e-mail.
Both George and Janice check their respective computers.
CARL
Let me guess: some sort of bad news missive from el jefe.

NEAL
Big time.
Carl and Brian enter Neal’s office. With everyone else distracted, Will takes a cellphone out of his pocket and exits briskly.
GEORGE
Yep, I got it.

JANICE
I did, too.

BRIAN
(reading computer screen)
“It was announced today that Juno Mass Media was acquired by Sherman Business Information, a New York City-based media conglomerate with holdings...blah blah blah.”

JANICE
We’ve been sold again?!

NEAL
“Chief Executive Officer Frederick Schultz announces that with the sale he is resigning from Juno Mass Media, and will receive a severance package of—-
(whistles)

CARL
(sarcastically)
Well, good for him. It’s nice to see the weasels win for a change.

GEORGE
Holy crap!

JANICE
You just scrolled down, right.

GEORGE
Yeah.

NEAL
Huh?

GEORGE
Scroll down toward the bottom.
(reads computer screen)
“Juno’s high-profile acquisition of the successful San Francisco high-tech publication Cool Gadgets, while not the resounding success that Juno’s board of directors had hoped it would be, is expected to be redeemed with the upcoming merger of that publication with the flagship magazine in the Consumer Electronic Group, Modern Electronics.”

NEAL
(whistles again)
I have such a bad feeling about this.
They all walk back into the center of the production area. Helen returns with a large cake and places it on Janice’s table. She sees all the downcast looks,
HELEN
Uh oh. Why do I expect that cake just won’t cut it?

CARL
We are so screwed.
Ivan enters, followed by Will.
IVAN
Well, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

CARL
What?!

IVAN
I don’t know what you’re all doing here at this hour, but you’re trespassing.

CARL
Trespassing!?

IVAN
I had planned to call a meeting on Monday, but since you’re all here I can tell you that I really wanted to keep all of you on staff following the merger, but every single thing Flo and I suggest gets such resistance from all of you that it’s just not worth the effort.

NEAL
So who is going to write for you?

IVAN
It’s really none of your damn business, but anything to keep you from acting smug. We’ve made overtures to a number of technology writers in the industry who were actually quite excited by the idea of writing for Cool Gadgets.

CARL
Do they know it’s the old “bait and switch”?

IVAN
Your employment is hereby terminated, effective immediately. Since you’re here now, you can take this opportunity to clean out all your desks. Goodbye—it’s been a pleasure working with you all.

CARL
Has it really?

IVAN
Fuck no.
Ivan exits.

Everyone stands around looking stunned.
JANICE
Wow.

GEORGE
Yeah.

NEAL
Did we screw the pooch or what?

BRIAN
“Screw the pooch”?

NEAL
It’s an expression.

BRIAN
A freakish one.

WILL
Look, I want to get out of here tonight. I’m jetlagged like you wouldn’t believe.

CARL
From a flight from Chicago?
DISSOLVE TO:

INT. RECEPTION AREA - NIGHT

Fifteen minutes later, Brian, Neal, Carl, and Janice stand in front of the elevator doors. Boxes of their possessions are on the floor. GEORGE enters carrying a large box.
GEORGE
Well, at least I could always get a job as a pack mule.

BRIAN
I’m not worried about any of you getting jobs.

CARL
I just want to take this opportunity to say that, despite everything, I will really miss working with you all.

JANICE
Carl, that’s so sweet.

CARL
I mean it. You did good work, and you were all a pleasure to work with.

NEAL
Would that it could have continued.

GEORGE
“For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.’” Whittier.

JANICE
It didn’t seem that witty. Wittier than what?

GEORGE
No, no: John Greenleaf Whittier.

JANICE
I’m teasing you, Mr. Literature Nerd.
There is a moment of silence. Carl looks at the elevator. She frowns, then hits the Down button.
CARL
Elevators come faster when you press the down button.

GEORGE
Well, you’re the expert on technology.
The elevator doors open and everyone enters. The doors close.

INT. NEWSROOM - NIGHT

Helen emerges from her office carrying a box in one hand and the cake in another. She is joined by Jean who carries a folder. Will stands off to the side watching them.
HELEN
That’s all you have?

JEAN
I tried to keep my life separate from this place. You want me to carry something?

HELEN
Would you please? Thanks.
Jean takes the cake from Helen. Helen exits. Jean starts to follow her.
WILL
(trying vainly to be sympathetic)
You know, you’re welcome to try to apply for a job in Chicago. We are short of staff.
Jean stops, turns around, and mashes the cake into Will’s face. She exits.

INT. LOU’S PLACE – NIGHT

A short time later that same evening. Brian, Carl, Neal, George, Janice, Jean, and Helen are gathered around a large table. Their boxes of possessions are on the floor around them. They are drinking champagne.
CARL
A waste of cake, perhaps, but I agree with the sentiment!

GEORGE
(holding his glass aloft)
To letting them wear cake!

BRIAN
Eat, drink, and be merry…
He looks at Carl expectantly.
CARL
No, I’m not gonna say it. We may be out of work, the economy may be headed for a complete meltdown, but I still say that tomorrow looks better than today.

BRIAN
And better than yesterday.

CARL
Well, I wouldn’t go that far.
They all laugh.

FADE OUT

No comments: