Thursday, December 18, 2008

I, Tunes

So this is my beef with iTunes. While I use iTunes the program all the time to play songs I have ripped from my CDs, I rarely buy songs through iTunes; I prefer CDs, and here's why. (Well, one of the reasons why.) I bought a new computer a few months ago and the couple of songs I bought through iTunes needed to be re-authenticated, because Apple's DRM (digital rights management) only allows any given iTune to be loaded on as many as five computers. So this means that I am allowed to buy three more computers in my life before I have to re-buy the songs I have already bought. Nuh-uh. I'll stick with CDs, which I can play wherever and whenever I damn well please. As John Locke (the character on Lost, not the philosopher) would say, "Don't tell me what I can't do!"

After all, I think I have single-handedly kept the music industry in business for the past 20 years; do I really need to be treated like a pirate and a thief? (Is it any coincidence, for example, that after I moved out of New York, Tower Records went out of business?)

No comments: