Friday, August 04, 2006

Miss Fortune

For those who believe that a) the future can be foretold in any way, b) that a modern device for such a purpose would be an improvement over the old Magic 8 Ball, and c) love to spend money on this kind of crap, I give you: the Fortune Ball:
Invented by Dr Ming Fang, a well-known developer of medical and industrial products, the Fortune Ball takes a little bit of crystal waving nonsense and applies some science to it. By using the entire Chinese calendar, theories of Astrology, Numerology, I Ching and Biorhythms, once you tell the Fortune Ball your accurate birth date and time (it's on your birth certificate if you're unsure of the hour) it will in a jiffy tell you your fortune for any given day up 30 days in advance. It can also tell you retrospectively what the last 30 days were like. The Ball looks at three aspects of your life; your Health, Wealth and Love life, and the intricately etched crystal ball will glow different colours to let you know what to expect in each area of your life.
What the Fortune Ball told me was that "Ming Fang's" actual name was Sidney Applebaum. I'm not so much interested in the future, but I am eager to have it tell me what the past was like, because I don't always remember it as well as I remember the future.

There's a pertinent George Santayana quote about how those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it--or someting like that, but since I can't remember the actual quote I'm doomed to not be able to repeat it. Ironic, really.

This is kind of a metaphor for life in that, rather like Kurt Vonnegut's Billy Pilgrim, I do not live my life chronologically. My life is not linear, but is rather like a Moebius strip, with the future and the past gradually becoming interchangeable. It does make hitting deadlines rather a challenge, which some would tell you explains rather a lot...

No comments: