Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Riders on the Storm

This is scary:
Early Wednesday morning, two truck drivers were killed in Sidney when a portion of Interstate 88 was washed away, and their trucks plunged into a 25-foot deep hole in the road. A third driver was killed, 31-year-old Robert Stockwell, after driving his car through a washed up section of road. The flooding threat continues in the Southern Tier, especially in Binghamton, where flood waters are going over flood-control walls.
I know that area fairly well; I take I-88 down to Corning a fair amount--and it's a 3 1/2-hour trip, so I know just about every gas station and rest area along the way.

At the same time, the New York State Thruway eastbound is closed to all traffic between the I-481 exit in DeWitt and exit 25A in Schenectady. (That's about a 120-mile stretch.) Thruway officials say the highway will remain closed because of flooding until noon tomorrow at the earliest. Surprisingly, this didn't happen at the same time I had tickets to a Syracuse game, which has been the case with almost every major blizzard we have had over the past five years.

No comments: