Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dentist the Menace

So I'm being stalked by a dentist. Well, not stalked per se, but aggressively (and bizarrely) marketed to by a dentist. (But what is marketing anyway but a socially and economically acceptable form of stalking?) There is this dentist in Ballston Spa (one town over) who apparently trolls the property transfer notices for people moving into the area, and sent me a thick package a few months ago of press clippings, profiles, testimonials, etc., touting his practice. All well and good, but I have dentist in Saratoga I've been going to for about five years and am quite happy with him, so I ignored the pitch.

A few months ago I get a follow-up package from Dr. Teeth with another package of clippings, etc., and what at first glance appears to be a handwritten note at the top of the typed letter (but on closer inspection was slightly pixellated--as if it had been printed on a mid-range color laser printer), saying that he was sorry to have not heard from me, blah blah blah.

The yesterday I get another package from the guy with the purportedly handwritten note, "I decied to make you our final offer and deliver it on a silver platter! Call us!!" And, sure enough, there was a small, silver platter enclosed in the envelope. WTF?

At this point, I'm not sure I want this guy holding sharp implements anywhere near me. Send lawyers, gums, and money!

When I lived in NYC, I had a great dentist (sadly no longer there--I don't know what became of him) who had a very strange (but nice) assistant who, if you had to cancel an appointment, would leave answering messages saying, earnestly, "Your dental health is in danger!" I get the sense that dental school involves a little too much time with the nitrous oxide.

No comments: