Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Looking for Humans in All the Wrong Places

It's funny: everyone has a cellphone and is so obsessed with being reachable anywhere and everywhere they go, and whenever they go there, and yet I can't remember the last time I called someone--anyone, cell or landline--and didn't get voice mail. It's a paradox: everyone is obessed with being reachable and yet by constantly being on the phone they make themselves even more unreachable to everyone trying to call them. So it sounds like cellphones don't really solve the problem everything thinks they're solving.

I don't really know what that all means, but it was just something that occurred to me when I read on Dr. Joe's blog about a Web site for those sick of voice mail hell: "Find a Human," which compiles detailed instructions for getting a human being at a variety of different companies, organized by industry. Most impressive is the listing for Amazon.com; it once took me 45 minutes of Googling to even get a phone number for Amazon.

No comments: