Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Do You Sudoku?

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I had never heard of "sudoku" until literally one week ago when Judy R. showed me a book of sudoku puzzles. (To the uninitiated like me, sudoku--sort of Japanese for "only single numbers allowed"--is a type of number puzzle in which you enter digits in a grid so that they add up evenly in all directions.) Funny, in the week since, I have suddenly seen sudoku everywhere. New York Times Crossword editor Will Shortz has an essay about sudoku here.

Is this a new thing? I seem to remember these types of puzzles (I think they were called "magic squares") back when I worked for You Know Who and readers would send them in all the time. I could never do them, being somewhat innumerate at the time (I was--and am--far better at crossword puzzles and other word games). Maybe it's time to revisit this sudoku thing.

Sudoku should not be confused with the word "soduku," which is a bacterial disease, and a type of Rat Bite Fever. (And Rat Bite Fever should not be confused with Cat Scratch Fever.)

No comments: