Wednesday, August 15, 2007

DWI

That is, Driving While an Idiot.

I drove down to Corning, NY, last weekend and on the way down, I saw something that reached new heights of driver idiocy. Now, readers of this blog (both of you) know that I have little patience for all those Very Important People who yak on their cellphone while driving (because, of course, civilization as we know it will fall apart if that call isn't answered immediately--assuming civilization hasn't fallen apart already), and that the new trend in text messaging while driving is the sign of a complete lack of any kind of mental functioning whatsoever. But this took the cake:

I was on I-88, a hilly, winding interstate, and it was raining. One guy was veering all over the place, and nearly ended up in a ravine, or, at one point, plunging off a cliff. His speed varied from 60 to 80 (I had cruise control on and could gauge his speed(s)). I thought, "must be drunk or on a cellphone." As I passed him, just to get the hell away from him, I looked over and he was writing on his PDA with a stylus...while driving. Wow. What exactly is wrong with people?

2 comments:

kmr said...

you shouldn't use cruise control in the rain - you could hydroplane. be careful out there!

Richard Romano said...

Yes, I am aware of that. It was only spritzing very lightly.