Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hail the Conquering Hero

The American Crossword Puzzle Tournament in Stamford, CT, was probably one of most fun weekends I have spent in a good long time. Granted, I didn't leave the hotel or see the outside for 48 hours (it was kind of like being at a printing industry trade show except that I didn't feel like killing myself), but they had a pretty good hotel bar. I got to meet Will Shortz (New York Times Crossword Puzzle editor), Patrick Creadon (the director of the movie Wordplay--and he was interested in coming to visit the Saratoga Film Forum), and Phil Donahue who was competing. (Interestingly, one of the puzzles had the clue "TV's Donahue." I wonder if he could have entered "me" and gotten points for it.) I also hung out with a bunch of really cool, fun people and met some of the puzzle constructors who made my life hell (and enjoyable, ironically, simultaneously...).

Oh, how did I do? Well, I came in 263rd out of 698 (top 38%). Not bad for a first-timer! Now I can't wait for next year--February 29-March 2 in Brooklyn, of all places.

No comments: