Thursday, February 15, 2007

Winter Wonderland

Well, all told we got about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow here in Saratoga in the past two days. Not having the benefit of a wussy snowblower or snowplow (just my trusty shovel), it was a struggle to stay on top of it all. (Or, eventually, a struggle to not fall over on top of it all.) Wednesday morning, I went out at 10 a.m. and there were about 6-8 inches on the driveway, plus a two-foot windroll from the plow. By the time I was done, the plow came by again, adding another one-foot windroll. By the time I was done with that, another inch or two had fallen and covered the rest of the driveway, so I got rid of that before heading in to go back to work.

I went out again at 1 p.m. and there were another 3-4 inches on the driveway. As I was taking care of that, the plow came by again, adding another two-foot windroll. Oy.

After taking care of that, I collapsed in a heap on the couch. I went out again at 4:30 p.m., at which time another 3-4 inches had fallen (and, yes, another one-foot windroll). After that was done, I could no longer move, so I was done for the day.

This morning, I went out at 9 a.m. and there was a residual 1-2 inches (and a 1/2-foot windroll). That wasn't too bad, but the mailbox was completely inaccessible. At the risk of incurring the wrath of Rose (my mail carrier), and after seriously considering having the Post Office hold my mail until April, I began the two-hour process of excavating the mailbox.

I had no idea so many parts of the body could ache simultaneously. Why did I leave L.A.?

No comments: