Monday, May 01, 2006

I Won't Stand for This

Airbus is taking its name far too literally: they have proposed a "standing" approach to airplane seating. I know, back when I used to fly, I thought that airplane seats were way too comfortable, and I felt guiltily decadent sitting in them. It's good to know that some day I can return to flying and not have to worry about feeling like some Gilded Age poseur.

There is a Bob Newhart routine from 1960 (on The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back! album) called "The Grace L. Ferguson Airline (and Storm Door Co.)" which chronicles a flight on a "no frills" airline--so "no frills" that they removed the seats and replaced them with those straps they have on the subway. I have often stolen that joke (usually when talking about Southwest Airlines) but it seems like it's the next logical step in the (d)evolution of air travel. Hmm...allowing cellphones to be used on planes and having to stand the whole way--yeah, I'm real eager to get back on a plane.

No comments: