Thursday, March 02, 2006

Preaching to the Quire

So I'm leafing through the print edition of Adweek magazine while snarfing down my 15-second breakfast this morning, and I notice an ad taken out by the Magazine Publishing Association (MPA) purportedly touting the effectiveness of print magazine advertising. It was an insert, two sided, full-color, nicely printed. I had a hunch about something, so I went to the Adweek Web site, poked around a bit and, sure enough, there was no sign of a banner ad or anything from the MPA touting the benefits of print magazine advertising.

This struck me as odd because why on earth do you need to promote the benefits of magazine advertising...in a magazine? It reminded me of a microwave oven I once had whose readout would occasionally flash "Sharp...Simply the Best." They don't have to keep selling me: I already bought the damn thing. (And, truth be told, it simply wasn't.)

If I were the MPA, I would be advertising the benefits of print magazine advertising in many non-print media. After all, it's not the people who read a print magazine that you have to convince--it's the people who avoid print magazines.

No comments: