Monday, June 18, 2007

Walkies!

My friend Rob and I decided to look into joining an outdoor/social club in the Capital District called Two Rivers and, as it happened, I know one of their members via my Toastmasters Club and I ran into her again at the parade last weekend (see below).

So Saturday, we went on a hike through Thacher State Park in Voorheesville. I loaded up my backpack with water, bug spray, sunblock (precious liquid), trail mix, Band Aids, aspirin, Immodium (I prepare for everything!), and, at my sister-in-law’s suggestion, dry socks. I didn’t need the extra socks, but it was great fun. It wasn’t especially arduous (thankfully, as I am old), but it was very scenic. There were eight of us, and getting us all together to head down to the park was rather like herding cats; people kept going off and getting lost and it was like those horror movies where one search party gets lost looking for other search parties.

Still, it was a great time, and I look forward to future hikes and other outdoorsy events. (There is a bike ride next weekend, although I do not have a bike.) Kayaking will be a challenge; I suspect if I try that I will end up upside-down in no time.


No comments: