Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Soft Cell

If anyone reading this (if anyone is reading this) is in the Saratoga area, I just want to put in a plug for Saratoga Business Machines, located on Geyser Road just over the Milton town line. They sell and service a wide variety of, well, business machines (copiers, printers, computers, etc.). They're an authorized Xerox service center and whenever I need supplies or repairs for my Xerox Tektronix Phaser printer, that's where I go, and they're great to deal with.

More importantly, though, they are also a Nextel sales center and today I, um, had a cellphone problem (lousy or non-existent Verizon Wireless reception in the house, a fit of pique, a set of wooden stairs, Newton's laws of motion...you can guess the rest). Needing a new phone anyway, I went up to investigate switching plans, explained my problem (I converted my landline to a cell number several years ago and have since dispensed with a landline, relying solely on my cellphone and VoIP, but since moving to the new house last fall, indoor cell reception has gotten progressively worse, to the point where accessing voicemail became a challenge which triggered off the aforementioned fit of pique), and, after some good-natured ribbing about the condition of my present cellphone, they let me borrow one of theirs (and without reluctance, oddly enough...) to take home and test out in the house. Amazingly, it got a fairly strong signal. I went back and they did a good job of walking me through all the plans and product offerings. (OK, I may regret this, but I decided to splurge on a CrackBerry....)

They were very helpful and very friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to go there again should I need to--although I hope I don't need to (in the same way that, no matter how much you may like your doctor or car mechanic, you really don't look forward to having to see them).

No comments: