Thursday, July 28, 2005

Why, Why, WHY...

...does Microsoft Word randomly switch to "overstrike" mode? Do they know how monumentally irritating that is?

If you're like me (and I know I am) and you hate MS Office as much as I do, one application suite that I've been experimenting with is Open Office (visit www.openoffice.org for more info). They have a word processing program (a la Word), a spreadsheet program (a la Excel), and a presentation program (a la PowerPoint). It's all free, Open Source software and while it isn't free of irritations and aggravations (but then what is?), it does eliminate some of Office's pains in the tuckus (it's so much easier to make a PDF from Open Office than MS Office, for example--which has saved my bacon on a few occasions). And it's all compatible with Office docs. Now if only Open Office for the Mac would get better--MS Office X for the Mac is almost completely unusable (creashes very five seconds because it claims that 1 GB of RAM isn't enough) and Apple's Pages lacks all the xref features of Word.

No comments: