Monday, September 14, 2009

Prints Charming?

Via Gizmodo, someone has worked out that if you printed the Internet (and I think we all know people who have tried, in one form or another; you know, the ones who can't bear to read anything on screen), it would take, among other things:
  • 57,000 years of non-stop 24/7 printing
  • 45 million ink cartridges, or half a million liters of ink (personally, I'd use toner, but that's just me)
  • 700 square miles of paper
  • 40,000 trees
Actually, if for some reason I were going to print the Internet, it would be more environmentally sustainable to first create a printer that prints directly on the trees without having to cut them down. And if readers can't make it to the forest where those trees are, I would set up a live Web cam in the forest so they can view on the Internet the printout of...um...the Internet... Hmm...this is sort of a media Möbius strip, isn't it?

No comments: