Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I've Wrestled the Octopus

Now, I'm inordinately fond of sushi, and, yes, I do like the occasional octopus, but I'm gonna take a pass on this dish (only in L.A.): live octopus tentacle. One diner relates his struggle:

In every scenario I played out in my imagination as far as eating this dish was concerned, I predicted nothing more than a brief slimy struggle then stillness—the last words of an insignificant creature low on the food chain. Silly me. I could not have underestimated my dinner more because once in my mouth, the tentacle went into attack mode and aggressively suctioned on to my teeth, tongue and bottom lip making it nearly impossible to manipulate my mouth in order to eat it....

I've heard of a food fight, but that's ridiculous! (And I take issue with the characterization of an octopus as "an insignificant creature low on the food chain.")

P.S. Danger, Will Robinson! If you click through to the original link, if you're in any way squeamish, do not click on the video link!

No comments: